7 Ways to Cope with Dry Eye in Summer
Many people are aware of the risk of dry eyes in winter, due to the harsh, cold weather conditions. Whilst Dry Eye Syndrome is usually worse for patients in winter and spring, it can also be triggered by warm, dry weather in the summer months. 
As well as the warmer weather, there are various different lifestyle factors that can cause dry eyes in summer. Many of us go on holiday during the summer, which can include activities like drinking alcohol, spending a lot of time in the sun, and swimming in pools with chlorine, which can all trigger Dry Eye symptoms. 
In this article, our Dry Eye expert lists seven tips to avoid dry, sore, itchy eyes this summer:
1. It’s important that you stay hydrated
Eyes become dry when they are dehydrated, just like the rest of the body. In summer, when the weather is warmer we need to drink more liquids, especially when we exercise.
2. Sunglasses are amazing at protecting your eyes
Wearing sunglasses when out and about helps to protect your eyes from the sun, wind, and dirt. Wraparound sunglasses are ideal to protect your eyes from the elements in summer. Make sure the sunglasses have at least 98% UV protection to keep your eyes from feeling sore and itchy when you’re outside. 
3. Use a heated compress at night to ease troublesome Dry Eye symptoms
If you are suffering from Evaporative Dry Eye, or Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, a heated compress, such as Meibopatch ®, will be ideal for unblocking your meibomian glands and help minimise dry eyes at night. 
4. Always wear goggles when swimming to avoid painful flare-ups
Wherever you are this summer, your well-deserved break will hopefully include a relaxing swim in the pool or the sea.
If you submerge your head underwater whilst swimming it’s important to always wear goggles. The chlorine in swimming pools and the salt in seawater can irritate the eyes, causing existing Dry Eye symptoms to worsen. 
5. Vitamins can help to ease symptoms of chronic Dry Eye Syndrome
There are certain vitamins and minerals that boost eye health, which can help if you suffer from Dry Eye Syndrome.
Adding vitamins which boost eye health into your diet, combined with a regular treatment plan, can reduce symptoms and improve your quality of life. With many fresh fruit and vegetables in season, summer is the perfect time to try and eat more foods which are rich in Vitamin C, E and D. 
6. Put a humidifier in your home to ease dry, itchy eyes
If you suffer from itchy, red, sore or watery eyes, getting a humidifier is a great idea to ease your symptoms. A humidifier helps combat the warm, dry heat of summer months to lubricate your eyes.
7. Remember to pack your lubricating eye drops when you’re on the go!
If you’re planning on taking a trip, don’t leave without your eye drops, as an uncomfortable flare-up could ruin your holiday.
Use long lasting eye drops for dry eyes, like VisuXl ® eye drops can help provide relief for irritating symptoms such as dry, itchy, red, sore or watery eyes. VisuXL ® eye drops in particular can help to provide more symptomatic relief than a standard eye drop can provide.
Other eye drops on the market are linear Hyaluronic Acid drops, whereas VisuXL ® is a patented formula. In VisuXL ® eye drops, Hyaluronic Acid is crossed-linked so that it doesn’t wash away easily when blinking. Instead, it remains on the eye for longer. It also forms a net on the surface of the eye, to help the second key ingredient, CoQ10, to repair damaged cells. 
Hopefully, these top tips will help you to get outside and enjoy the sunshine this summer, without having to worry about dry eyes.
In most cases, the best way to treat dry eyes, Also known as dry eye syndrome, is to use eye gel or eye drops.
VisuXL Gel® is a preservative-free smart gel lubricant for dry eye syndrome. It provides comfort in a bottle with it’s long-lasting lubrication properties giving 12-hour dosing with just one drop and is suitable for both day and night use.
VisuXL® is a preservative-free eye drop lubricant for dry eye syndrome. Due to its unique ingredients, VisuXL® will help you recover from eye surgery, an injury or persistent damaging dry eye.
VisuEvo® is a preservative-free eye drop that prevents excessive evaporation of the tear film. Its unique formula contains omega-3 essential fatty acids, Vitamins A and D and ultra-filtered phospholipids that facilitate tear film presentation and control evaporation.
All three products are contact lens-friendly and can be used for 180 days after opening.
- Kumar, N., Feuer, W., Lanza, N. L., & Galor, ‘A, Seasonal Variation in Dry Eye’, Ophthalmology, 122(8), pp. 1727-1729, 01/08/16. Accessed May 2022
- Holliman, N, ‘ Managing Dry Eyes During Summer Months’. Accessed May 2022
- Complete Eye Care, ‘How Does Hydration Affect My Eyes’, Accessed Sep 2021
- Theriot, P, ‘The Best Sunglasses for Dry Eye Sufferers’. Accessed May 2022
- </span>MeiboPatch® Instructions for Use (IFU). <span style="font-weight: 400;">Accessed May 2022
- </span>‘Expat vision care: Can sea and sun exposure cause dry eyes?’, Specsavers Opticas. <span style="font-weight: 400;">Accessed May 2022
- Meixner, M, ‘The 9 Most Important Vitamins for Eye Health’, Healthline, 25/07/18</span>. <span style="font-weight: 400;">Accessed January 2022
- Higuera, V, ‘Creating a Healthy Morning and Night-time Routine for Chronic Dry Eyes’, Healthline</span>. <span style="font-weight: 400;">Accessed May 2022